Monday, August 24, 2009

I am PICC free!

Today was clinic day. THEY PULLED MY PICC!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!! It hurt like a b*tch but it was so worth it! I am still sore right now and I have a nice size hole in my arm. But tomorrow morning when I shower for work I am going to feel like a million dollars! I can not wait wohoo!

So for my clinic appointment…

My numbers are back to baseline…44%. So yeah down from when I went home 2 weeks ago at 53%. My only thought is that I had my Albuterol and Atrovent neb literally right before transport came to get me. Otherwise I have no idea. I know you can fluctuate with IVs etc so that is a possibility. But I feel great so I am concentrating on that and not the dam numbers! And my lungs sound good with only my one trouble spot.

I mentioned the reflux acting up again and he said to try 3 days of taking a Prevacid in the am and again at night. That should calm it all down and get me back on track. If not then we may need to increase my dosing.

I told him about the couch to 5k program and the NP wants to try it too! Awesome! He laughed when I told him I discovered I need O2 when jogging. But he told me to be careful and make sure that I am concentrating on my breathing and not letting it get shallower as I progress. I need to maintain my breathing and heart rate.

He almost made me cry and I was very touched by this. He took my hands and looked me in the eyes and asked how I was handling the Lynch Syndrome diagnosis. We talked about it a bit and I am fine with it. Nothing I can do to change it and like he said I didn’t ask for all these bad genes. He said with all the stuff to deal with CF, adding something like this can be hard to handle. Good thing I’m on anti-depressants already then huh?

I chickened out on talking about switching or weaning off of the anti-depressants. He is like my second dad and I feel so weird telling him I have no sex drive! He has been my DR since I was 5 so I dunno…just kinda weird. I will eventually I am sure. This is a nice intro into my sort of next topic. I am working on a long blog. A TMI blog of sorts about sex and CF women. I have been having some issues in that department (hence why I want to change my A/D around) so I have enlisted the help of some fellow cysters. Once it is all done I will be sure to post my results!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Getting a PICC out is always a great day, and that first shower afterwords is always great too. Though i have never had one hurt coming out, just feels a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy that first long drive with a free arm and a coca cola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your shower!! Yea, those damn numbers can lie I swear :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay on the PICC removal. Get that sucker outa there! :) Let the itchy skin healing thing begin. LOL. And enjoy your looooong shower with the water going wherever it wants without worries. The two times I've been on IVs my FEV1% went up a few weeks after stopping. I think it takes a bit of time for your body to detox from all the meds and get back into the groove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just thought I would mention that I saw a gastro that confirmed some meds work better than others for some people and still some of us need 2x day dosing. I take prevacid 2x per day all the time now and it makes a big difference for me.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting the PICC out, enjoy your shower! I the "From Couch to 5K" book as well. I just need to get off the couch now! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on being a PICC-free woman ;)

    I'm sure your numbers will get back up!!! My numbers used to be the best about 1 week after iv abx.

    Your dr sounds like a really sweet and caring guy!!! I wish I could have continued my same CF doc...but they require us to switch to an adult center (and plus I had a transplant). But that's great that you still have the same one!

    ReplyDelete