Thursday, May 13, 2010

My brother is a free man!

The best news I could have gotten (besides getting my SSDI approved) was that my brother tested negative for the Cancer Gene!!!  Lynch Syndrome, hMLH1 is the mutation.

again here is the post explaining it all.

Funny, my brother sent me a text message to tell me (he is working albeit with my dad) and it said "God must have been in a bad mood when he made you cause I don't have the gene, you got the short end of the stick".

I was so happy I almost cried!  My niece and nephew and any more babies they may have are in the clear as well.

You might be thinking "aww poor Amy, she has this", but PLEASE DON'T.  I don't want pity, I don't want to  have anyone feel sorry for me.  I am glad it was all placed on me and not my brother.  A lot of Cystics feel this way about getting the disease over their siblings.  It has nothing to do with feelings that the other could not handle it, but rather that they don't have to deal with it.  I am much happier having my brother live a normal life and have me be screwed.  It's something I just can't explain.  Plus I don't think I could live with watching my brother die.  I don't know how my brother will do it, and I try not to think about that.

Is it selfish to say that I am almost thankful that I probably won't have to watch my mom, dad and brother pass?  Because if it is then I am guilty of being selfish :)

Same goes with this whole hMLH1 gene.  I am glad that I have it and have to deal with the testings for it rather than my brother, who most likely would not have had them done anyway LOL.

Let the CF end with me, and let the Lynch Syndrome end with me as well.  Granted there are 5 other siblings of my dad who have has polyps and/or cancer and that also have kids, so it might not end with me entirely.  But it's a start with me and my brother!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my CF. Let me have it and spare everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree l so understand what you mean, thankfully my parents have never been really sick and l am thankful any health issues have happened tto me rather than anyone in my family. Even though my brother (dec '86) had Cf, l will be the last in my family. I totally understand what you mean Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guilty of being selfish too. Though, I think we (CFers) make up for any selfishness by having to watch our friends die. :(

    Congrats to your brother, that's fantastic news!

    Sevenstars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true Seven :) :( never thought of it like that....guess that does kinda make up for it...

    ReplyDelete