Friday, October 8, 2010

Stenotrophomonas Maltophilia

This is my new friend.  Steno Malt.  Apparently I cultured it when I went in for my cold.  She said that it is sensitive to a lot of medicines, so the Cayston should work on it.  She didn't seem too concerned about it so I am trying not to be as well.

However, it is very hard to keep that mindset when I read up on it.  Steno seems to be classified as gram-negative and found in aquatic environments.  It's similar to B. cepacia in its ability to resist antibiotics.  Again, luckily mine seems to be sensitive to most antibiotics.  Read here to find out more.  Originally it was thought to not have a negative impact on lung function, however, it may not be the case now.  Patients with Steno Malt might actually see a decrease in lung function from it.

So while the articles are not exactly positive, I have hopes that I can get rid of it.

4 comments:

  1. I sorry you grew it... I grew it back in jan this year, mine was sensible only to bactrim, but luckly i never grew it again.....

    Hope you get rid of this soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your new bug :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the Steno, but hoping that Cayston and more will help you! xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Piper!
    Kristy referred me to you and your blog as I just cultured Steno for the first time ( I am 36). I haven't seen the actual lab, so I am not sure if mine is resistant to any anti's but I do feel a bit better after switching to Bactrim from Augmentin.

    My doc read an article and said "results on this bacteria and how it affects lung function is inconclusive". That pisses me off. I know that I haven't felt like myself this year and finally feel like the answer surfaced. I understand that docs do need to rely somewhat on research but I think how we feel is more important because as you know, everyone's CF experience is a little different.

    I noticed you are post tx. I suspect you can tell even better than I can how your lungs may feel different with Steno. Keep talking to your docs if you aren't feeling the same. That is all I can do too.

    Anyway, I am glad you are doing well and that we have a mutual friend in Kristy! She has been such a blessing in my life!

    Denise Kruse

    ReplyDelete